Friday, July 29, 2011

Queen Anne Farmer's Market


One of the many things I love about Seattle is how everyone seems to have gotten the "buy local" memo. I'm not going to pretend it's easy or convenient to use a local resource all the time for everything you need, but it's nice to have so many options available up here. And something we have an abundance of that is really great to support: Farmers Markets.

I've gone to several over the years, but mere blocks from my house the Queen Anne Farmer's Market is held every Thursday from 3:00 - 7:30. I never get home in time to swing by, but one Thursday not too long ago I finally made it.


I got there early and avoided the crowd. It was fantastic.


First stop, the very friendly Local Roots organic produce booth. The two folks working the booth were super knowledgeable without being at all pushy, and I was happy to buy lots of goodies from them.


I picked up some radishes and some sprouted broccoli (which I had never seen before - I roasted it and it was sweet and delicious). I even came back on my way out and got a big bag of mixed greens that they said would be good for at least a week, and it was. Yum yum yum.


Next up: honey time.


Dave from Island Apiaries was there, and I picked up a jar of blackberry infused honey.


He even brought some bees with him! I could have seriously hung around that booth for hours.


At the end of the row was my favorite sight to behold: a booth full of lavender from Woodenville Lavender Farm. I can't believe I didn't take more pictures, they had such a nice variety. Hmph. I bought a little 4 inch plant, which I felt was slightly over-priced, but I was drunk with farmers market fever and had cash to burn. Plus, it smelled so lovely.


My last stop was at Collins Family Orchards where I picked up some pretty pink ladies. I shared one with Makai, he also likes to eat local.

This particular farmers market is pretty small, which is perfect for me. I think I was in and out of there in about 10 minutes. All in all I think I spent just under $40, which isn't that bad. The honey is going to last me a long time, as will my little lavender plant (if I don't kill it first). I also picked up a dozen eggs from some happy local hens, and all the delicious produce that I got? Worth every penny.

If you want to check and see if there's a farmers market near you to support, www.LocalHarvest.org is a great resource for searching them out. Highly recommended.

No comments: