Monday, April 11, 2011

Planter Shmanter: And we're off!


It has begun! I finally picked up some starter plants for a few types of veggies for the Planter Shmanter project. I've decided to keep it simple this year and just do carrots, lettuce, snow peas, and potatoes (my first time trying taters!).

I'll be honest, I have some serious irrational guilt about not starting my garden from my own seedlings this year. It feels like cheating, but I just don't have the time.

Anyway here's where things stand...




I went with a dwarf snow pea this year. I heard on our local NPR station that you don't need to worry about any trellising with the dwarf varieties, but if they start looking like a mess I can always add some string like I did last year.


Notice anything funny in the foreground up there?




I'm really excited about the potatoes! We'll see how they do, I still don't get a ton of sun exposure on my balcony, maybe they'll just be a bit on the tiny side. But look! My crappy wood grain planters from The Luffa Project have found a second life!

No comments: