Tuesday, April 26, 2011

DIY Creme Eggs!



This past Easter Sunday, I thought I'd take a stab at making everyone's favorite egg-born-from-a-bunny treat from scratch.

They are shockingly not that difficult to make. I used a combination of a couple different recipes I found online (from Not Without Salt and Instructables).

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Light Corn Syrup (or Lyle’s Golden Syrup if you prefer)
1/4 Cup Butter - Softened
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
3 Cups Powdered Sugar (this was one box for me)
Yellow Food Coloring
1 bag chocolate chips (Milk or Dark - your choice)

With a mixer (I used my hand mixer, which was hilarious) combine syrup, butter, vanilla and salt. Slowly add powdered sugar until everything is silky smooth. This mix gets thick. My hand mixer almost whirled right out of my hand a few times.



Separate about 1/3 of the mix out, and add yellow food coloring until you get that dreamy yellow yolk color. I think next time I will add a couple of drops of red. Cadbury Creme Eggs are almost orange in the middle, after all.





Cover the mixes and put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. When the mix is firm, work with the yellow first and get those yolks shaped.



I used a teaspoon to scoop out the mixture and then rolled it into a ball in my hands. Put the mix back in the freezer when it starts to get to sticky to work with. It happens quickly, I think I was able to get about 5 done at a time.



Next up is the whites. Make these a little larger than the yolks.



Working one egg at a time, roll the whites into a ball in my hands, flatten it a smidge, then push a dimple into it with your thumb.



Stick a yolk in the middle, and bend the whites up around the sides.



It's an egg!



Seriously, in and out of the freezer about a zillion times.



Awww, babies.



Finally get to use the double boiler my sister got me for Christmas!



It worked like a dream. Soooo much better than the microwave, where you have to heat in short intervals, stir, and then keep on reheating as you work.



One at a time, grab an egg from the freezer, and use a toothpick to dip the egg in the chocolate. Stick the other end of the toothpick into something (I had a couple of lemons laying around that were good egg holders), and put them in the fridge while the chocolate sets up.





Yay!! Word to the wise, these are sweeeeet. Too sweet, even. If I make them again, I'm going to halve the syrup, and probably use some real sugar instead. Or maybe ditch the syrup all together. They were fun to do though, and I'm glad I tried it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This. is. awesome!!!!! I am totally going to try this!!! Fat Kid Goodness!