Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Operation Dream Patio


I have always wanted a patio that has a vibe like this. Something that feels like it has a little history, some greenery, definitely some wood elements, and of course globe string lights. So, I've decided to start Operation Dream Patio!


If anyone watches the show Parenthood, the backyard at the grandparents' house is literally from my dreams. It's so perfectly perfect. Great job, set designers.


I figured the best thing to begin with was the lights, for instant gratification and happiness. I picked up a string of medium-sized globe lights at Target for 13 bucks.


Once again my building's concrete construction is proving to be a bit of an obstacle. Enter the removable sticky hook!


I thought the openings were a little wide for holding just a chord that is swinging in the wind... Fixed!


It was one of those 18 degree days when I put up all the hooks, and that's not really a glove-friendly task. I'd stand there, on my chair, two flights up, pressing down on the hook for 60 seconds per the instructions, then run inside and put my hands under the dog until I could feel them again.


Voila!

I still might change up how they are hanging, they are more Christmas-y and less swoopy right now. I think I'll probably wind up zig zagging them across the ceiling in the end. Which takes more length... which means I need another strand of lights!

Next up: Furniture? A wood faux wall (not to be confused with a faux wood wall)? Plants that are not part of the Planter Shmanter project? Hmmmm.

4 comments:

Mrs. V said...

I LOVE IT! I am obsessed with lights at night....glad I am not the only one.

Vicki said...

It's just makes things soooo warm and happy. Totally shifts the mood!

Amy Christian said...

Beautiful! You're my hero.

Vicki said...

Aw shucks. Thanks, Ames. :)