Thursday, March 17, 2011

Jill Bliss Illustrations


There's a lovely store up on the top of Queen Anne called Eat Local, that sells great local products. They have locally grown produce and baked snacks, a freezer section of pre-made meals made from local ingredients, and the best ice cream I've ever eaten in my life (we're talking the just milk-sugar-salt kind). It's truly a great store!

But my favorite treasure they sell? Prints from local artists!

I came across a stack of prints from Portland artist Jill Bliss. They were mostly floral, printed with just two or three ink colors, and they all had very different vibes. I was going through the stack and thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be great if she had a California Poppy print to remind me of back home?"

BAM! The very next one in the stack: California Poppies. I shit you not, it really happened like that. Just one of those amazing, unexplainable, stars aligning kind of moments.


This picture doesn't do the color justice. It's really rich and gorgeous and HAPPY.


Look at the cute little tag she includes in her prints. Even tells you what IKEA frame it will fit into! A girl after my own cheap-framing heart.

Her portfolio is full of all kinds of inspiring pieces. Her illustrations remind me of those old horticulture books full of hand-drawn plant diagrams. Take a look if you have a few minutes...





She makes a ton of products from her artwork. Journals, note cards, wallets, FABRIC! She makes FABRIC! You can order things from her website, or her Etsy shop. She's got a cool blog, too...

No comments: