Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fresh out of the kiln!

I had several pieces waiting for me at the ceramics studio today. Some are gifts so I can't show them all, but here are a couple I'm being greedy and keeping for myself. (The lighting in my kitchen was poo, the pieces are much more vibrant in person.)

First up is a medium-sized bowl. Perfect for spinach dip or hummus or Cool Ranch Doritos. I left a good amount of the clay body visible on this one because I love the contrast of red clay with green or blue glaze. The two glazes I used melted together to form a nice milky pool in the bottom.





Next up is a little bud vase that started out as a joke project after a bunch of us were playing with the extruder. We extruded a long star-shaped tube, and I ripped a hunk off it and made this. I guess it's some sort of lily abstraction. It was a total happy accident, but I think perfectly suited for some red renuculas or some equally peppy little flowers.







5 comments:

Leslee said...

You are entirely my creative hero!! Such a good eye for fun things... Really love the creamy colored vase...

Tirzah said...

I looove the one that looks like a flower! Good job Vicki :D

Mrs. V said...

Why did I look at these and flashback to ceramics class....
Love both! In the words of Ramona from Real Housewives of NY....
Kuuuuhhhhdooooooozzzz

Vicki said...

Thanks guys! :)

Erin, I always think of trying to throw with our giant fake nails in high school. Oy vey.

Howie Woo said...

Your flower vase is so eye-catching and beautiful. What a fun design!