Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Aw nuts.



My newest lemon juicer cracked before it even made it into the bisque fire. Booooo.

With any closed form you need to poke a teeny hole in it so as the clay shrinks the air trapped inside has somewhere to go. This time I was playing with putting the hole on the underside of the piece so it wouldn't be visible. Unfortunately, when I put the juicer on the shelf to dry, the hole was covered and the air couldn't get out. DOH! Makes perfect sense now that it's happened, I'll have to dry the next one on little risers so the air can get out.

I'm not giving up on it yet though. I sanded down some of the clay around the base, pushing some of the dust into the crack, and am going to try and fire it anyway. It might be salvageable with a really thick glaze later, so we'll see how it goes.

Sigh.

No comments: